DeLuca Homes Thanksgiving Prep Tips
You love having guests for Thanksgiving, whether they’re staying for a couple of days or just coming for turkey dinner. We’ve rounded up some tips for making your home welcoming for your holiday visitors.
- Before you invite guests, think about the space that you have. Do you have room for people to mix and mingle? Do you have enough tables & chairs? You can cover rented chairs with slipcovers to make them more festive.
- Take this opportunity to de-clutter guest rooms and public spaces. Give these spaces a through going over. And clear off all tables, counters and ottomans. No stacks of mail, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Make sure the house is well-lit – inside and out. You may be familiar with all of your dark corners, but your guests aren’t. Make sure all outdoor lights are working. Inside, make sure area rugs are either safely fastened or pull them up. Remember to child proof if little ones will be visiting – matches, medications, etc.
- Spruce up your main entryway. Give the door a fresh coat of paint. Hang a festive wreath. Put a new welcome mat out.
- Don’t forget the front porch. Give it a good sweep, and then festoon it with mums or cornstalks or pumpkins to make it welcoming.
- Make sure all of your bathrooms are spotless. Then dress them up with festive hand towels or rugs, and maybe a vase of seasonal flowers.
- Feeling crafty? Make your own elegant centerpiece. Nature’s bounty – pumpkins, gourds, nuts, berries, etc – makes glorious table decorations. Not into DIY? A really nice bouquet of seasonal flowers from your local florist will do wonders.
- Candles – scented or unscented, pillars or tapers – are always a nice accent, adding warmth and a happy glow. Group a variety of sizes & shapes on the sideboard for a dramatic display.