ACT NOW: Special Spring Pricing On Select Homes In Yardley >
DeLuca’s Tips for Getting Your Home Ready for Winter
On the East Coast, there are things we do every fall to keep our homes operating at peak efficiency during the long winter months. As the cold weather approaches, take a look at some of the key tasks you may want to tackle before the snow flies.
Exterior, doors and windows
- Check roof for missing or damaged shingles. Check flashing around chimney.
- Make sure gutters and down spouts are clean.
- Seal drafty windows and doors. Replace old weather stripping if necessary.
- Put covers over the basement window wells.
- Service and tune up snow blower.
- Check shovels to make sure they are in good shape.
- Purchase ice melt.
Lawn and yard
- Drain gas from lawn mower.
- Rake lawn and fertilize for winter.
- Rake leaves. Compost, use for mulch or recycle.
- Trim trees and seasonal vegetation.
- Store lawn furniture. Set up bird feeders.
- Disconnect all garden hoses. If you don’t have frost-proof hose bibs, turn off water supply and drain.
- Have an HVAC Professional inspect and clean the furnace and ducts.
- Change the furnace filter.
- Set the humidifier for winter.
- Set the programmable thermostat for your current schedule.
Wood Burning Fireplace
- Always have the chimney checked by a professional before using.
- Make sure chimney is clear of debris or animal nests.
- Check that the flue damper is operational.
- Inspect fire bricks for cracks and missing mortar.
- If you turned the gas off for the summer, turn it back on and start the pilot.
- Clean the glass so you have a clear view of the fire.
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Replace batteries and test the units.
- Buy a fire extinguisher or replace if it is over 10 years old.